If you are currently in class 10, I would say prioritize NTSE and other Olympiads right now.
Having cleared JEE myself, subtle points from my experience that I feel you can or in fact you should implement so that your base becomes suitable for JEE preparation.
Here we go…
The Most Important Tips for You !
- GET OVER WITH THE CRAMMING PART: Students in 10th usually get along by memorizing a whole lot of things. However easier it may appear, do not extend the rot learning part to MATHS & SCIENCE. You are planning to prepare for the entrance of one of the most elite institute of the country, pls don’t get away by CRAMMING specially in maths n science. Understand the topic to your best.
- BE INQUISITIVE: Creative learning is appreciated. The more you can widen your thinking, the more interesting it appears. See, what u are going to study in your coming two years is an extended version of all that you studied in 9th and 10th. Generate questions and try to find their answers on your own. That quest for more info will make develop your ability to grasp higher concepts of PCM easily.
- DO NOT MAKE IT A VERY BIG DEAL: JEE requires patient study for a very long period. Well, a period of two years will suffice. So do not give up on too many things in your highschool period or become a geek. Believe me when I say, the coming two years will bring to u a very busy schedule of studying …so sit back and prepare urself to adjust to it ASAP.
- INCREASE YOUR LEVEL: There are two types of students. One who are already academically excellent. They manage it pretty well in their 10th to 11th transition. The other kind are those who take studies very lightly till high-school and dream of getting into IITs. Piece of advice for them; try increasing your sitting hours. Be clear with everything that NCERT covers. Important is to understand comcepts logically.
- IMPORTANCE OF A MENTOR: Someone who has already cleared JEE can mentor you to work in the right direction. Learn from his experiences, get motivated, know about the exam pattern and the dedication required to crack it.
Above all, don’t stress out much right now. But CLEAR YOUR BASICS. It becomes interesting if you are well versed with the basics of every chapter to be taught in 11th and 12th or else it becomes a bit rough to carry on with the syllabus easily.
Recommended Books if you want to start studies now (Links to buy included, just click on book name) :
- H.C. Verma : Concepts of Physics Vol 1
- H.C. Verma : Concepts of Physics Vol 2
- R.C. Mukerjee : Physical Chemistry
- R D Sharma : Mathematics
All the best!